Tuesday, October 16, 2007

INSIDE WIKI #16





I`ve just had a look at some different Wiki`s. The SJCPL subject guide,(http://www.libraryforlife.org/subjectguides/index.php/Main_Page) I can see would be useful, and similar to an everyday library catalogue subject search, only better. Library staff are able to edit the site. Currently Hume are implementing a similar project, however, as far as i am aware only one person is able to edit in a way that links will be added to the library catalogue.

It isn`t the same as a Wiki although it operates in a similar way to the link mentioned above (I think). This particular one may be easier for the average person in the street because it has links to different or similar subject matter, wheras the catalogues in libraries, I feel are rigid and sometimes not easy for people to look at. This subject heading site is more like a website than a catalogue but does the same job as a catalogue. Most people that are using blogs would feel more comfortable with using the internet rather than using a library cataloue. The only problem that I found is that once you click onto links, you get advertising (which I don`t like to see) and also there are many choices for further links to subject matter that initially you had no intention of looking at, creating a distraction. This only applies if you were browsing. If you had a particular topic to find and wasn`t just browsing, then I would say that it a very good tool.
Some of the other Wiki`s that I looked at didn`t impress me at all. They seemed to jump around all over the place like a bull at a rodeo or they were irrelevant because they were all from the U.S. and I couldn`t see any use for them myself. There were a couple of very well structured ones that I would use if they were in my neighbourhood. I will list them below.

http://wiki.ucalgary.ca/page/Main_Page
http://liswiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

There were a couple of websites that I think would be useful for making a Wiki and also creating online surveys just as a topic of interest.

http://trainingwiki.pbwiki.com/

No comments: